Monday, July 11, 2011

Light vs. Heat

A few weeks ago - or was it months ago - I heard something I'd always know about fire:
Fire provides light and heat...and as we all know, heat can be positive or negative.

I'm sure that is why Jesus said:

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a peck measure, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven." (Amplified Bible)

I started thinking about myself and how I'm doing against this verse - and as I write this, the song that comes to my heart is one that many of us have sung one time or the other in our lives or like me still sing:
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. (4x)
Let it shine, let it shine.
I wonder how things will have been if Jesus had said "We are the fire of the world." Walk with me as I imagine how the world might have been...

There would most likely have been more "destruction" than construction because some of us are so "forceful" that in "letting our light shine" that we burn, hurt, break and crush people more than we build or cultivate them. Too many people erroneously believe that a "holier than thou" attitude is the right way to let our light shine. The bible warns us not to think of ourselves as better than we really are* and that those who think they stand strong should be careful** because pride definitely leads to a fall.***

While the word of God must burn in your heart and make impact wherever you share it****, we must live the Word and let God do His work through and with us. Our assignment is not to save people - but be a light that show them the way back to the Father. When they go to Him, they receive their salvation - if they believe.

All God needs and has asked us to do is "let our light shine" and...
 God will make His Word "burn in their hearts."
Just focus on being a light...

References:
*Rom 12:3 - Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us. (NLT)
**1 Cor 10:12 - Therefore let anyone who thinks he stands [who feels sure that he has a steadfast mind and is standing firm], take heed lest he fall [into sin]. (Amplified)

***Prov 16:18 - First pride, then the crash - the bigger the ego, the harder the fall. (Message)
****Jer 20:9 - If I say, I will not make mention of [the Lord] or speak any more in His name, in my mind and heart it is as if there were a burning fire shut up in my bones. And I am weary of enduring and holding it in; I cannot [contain it any longer]. (Amplified)
Jer 23:29 - "My message is like fire," announces the Lord. "It is like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces. (NIRV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...