Thursday, December 3, 2009

Watch it!

Those 2 words capture the "warning" I got from God this morning.

A few weeks ago, I shared how God used a shopping trip to teach me some spiritual tips on Prayer...please read them if you haven't (you can search the blog for topics on "shopping").

Well, let's go on...
In "planning" my next shopping trip, it just hit me that I am becoming "drawn" to shopping because I had a "good" experience. So while "hitting the brakes" I quickly asked the Lord what I can learn from this "attraction". God is always there to help us, if you ASK. This is what He shared this with me...


As a result of my "positive" shopping experience (i.e. getting what I needed at prices I liked), I now have more "confidence" in shopping. The principle God just reminded me of is:
The more we pray, the more confidence we have in God.
Indeed, "And this is the confidence (the assurance, the privilege of boldness) which we have in Him: [we are sure] that if we ask anything (make any request) according to His will (in agreement with His own plan), He listens to and hears us. And if (since) we [positively] know that He listens to us in whatever we ask, we also know [with settled and absolute knowledge] that we have [granted us as our present possessions] the requests made of Him.*" (1 John 5:14 - 15, emphasis mine)

This similarity of "confidence" in both shopping & prayer results in a difference between shopping and prayer:

Confidence in shopping results in covetousness - yes indeed, it has a downside - it creeps up and can  "consume" you. You just want to keep at it; reason flies out because you can always "justifiy" why you need one more item or the same item as that other person etc. The line between your needs and wants turns grey, then transparent until it practically disappears.

At the other end of the spectrum, confidence in praying to God results in contentment and continual communion - it also has a way of "consuming" and drawing us (at least me) into "praying at all times about all things".

The bottom line is that Confidence in either shopping or praying results in an addiction...it's up to you which side of the line you tow; I recommend that you control the former and cultivate the latter. God is so kind that He even shows us how in Proverbs 3:26: "For the Lord shall be your confidence, firm and strong, and shall keep your foot from being caught [in a trap or some hidden danger].*"

Once we embed our confidence in God & His word, He will hit the brakes for you so you don't become a shopping addict.

Well, dear ladies, that's how God helped me hit the brakes for me this morning...with a word (warning) in due season. I have purposed to be addicted to prayer rather than shopping. I pray you also choose the "addiction" that pushes you up not the one that pulls you down.

God bless you.


*Verses from the Amplified Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...